Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lunchtime Spat / Battle Observer


Lunchtime Spat

Day 4 (cont)

Capac

1219 Hours

 

Capac wasn't surprised that as soon as Bugalu got his lunch, he headed straight for Mac's table. The redhead was staring into space, a frown on her face, and seemed to have forgotten the meal before her. "Okay, what have you been up to?" Bugalu demanded as he sat down.

She flushed deep red and turned her gaze to her meal. "Nothing."

"Don't lie to me. Where were you last night?"

Why accuse her of lying? He's been in a bad mood all morning.

She blushed an even deeper red, if possible. "In my room. Mostly." She toyed with her potatoes, prodding them with her fork.

"Doing what?"

"Studying."

Bugalu studied her. "You're not in the brig, so you haven't hit anyone."

She tossed a guilty glance his way. "No," she stated breathlessly.

Bugalu jumped on these apparent tell-tales. "Meaning you came close?"

"I - I can't hit people anymore," she stated. "I told you-"

"That hasn't stopped you before! Who was it? And what do you think he did?"

"Think?" she repeated, stunned, and her own temper flared. "Is that what you think? That I can't tell when a guy is trying to undress me? Maybe you think I should let him undressed me before I stop him!"

"I think you over-react," he returned sourly. "I think you read too much into everything a man does. You can't know what they're thinking, despite-"

"It was pretty obvious Tall Bear was trying to get my shirt off last night!" she declared.

Brown eyes narrowed. "What was Bear doing in your room?"

"Who said we were in my room?"

"You just said- Or did you lie?"

"I said I spent most of the night in my room! Are you saying that I can't leave my quarters unless I'm with you? I'd never get out! You're always on a date!"

"I didn't know you were coming! Why is this my fault? I told you I had a date. You should have known-"

"How can I know anything?" she shot back. "I'm just a dumb girl who over-reacts and hasn't got a clue what a man's thinking! No thanks to you! Maybe I made a mistake coming here to be with you! You seem to think that if you don't have time for me, I'm just going to sit in my room! That I will see no one, do nothing! But that's not me! And you should know that!"

For the first time, Bugalu seemed to realize how loud they were, for he glanced around the room. "All right, Mac, calm down."

"Don't tell me what to do!" she yelled, scrambling to her feet. "You don't have that right! Not until you have room for me in your life. And when that happens, then maybe I'll have room for you in mine!" She turned and stormed off.

Bugalu looked bleak as she ran out. "How did things blow up like that?"

"What did you expect?" Capac asked. "You were in a bad mood, came in, accused her of lying, of being with Tall Bear. If you're too busy for her, why shouldn't she see someone else?"

Bugalu frowned. "Don't be an idiot, Capac."

I'm not going to take that from him. "Apparently, you would like to be alone," the Peruvian stated coldly, starting to stand.

"Don't go," Bugalu requested. "Sorry, I- Last night's date didn't go well, and nothing I say today is coming out right." He sighed heavily. The two of them ate in uneasy silence for a time. "I need to talk to Tall Bear," Bugalu stated thoughtfully.

Going to warn Bear off? It must be serious with Mac. He never said a word when he heard I took over his date with Blossom.

 

 

Battle Observer

Day 4 (cont)

Smitty

1221 Hours

 

It wasn't long before the entire mess hall realized Bugalu and Mac were having a fight. Even half the room away, Tall Bear's name was heard. Conflicting emotions raged through Smitty, who refused to look that way, but was keenly aware of the argument. Good girl. Don't let him boss you around. Be your own woman.

"Blast," MacGregor muttered. "She doesn't need this, not now."

A glance at the doctor revealed a look of deep concern on the other man's face. Smitty's whirling emotions fell through the floor. He's right. Her memory loss this morning - I haven't told him about that yet - and now a big fight with her lover! She'll have a break down for sure!

"Excuse me," MacGreg mumbled, getting to his feet.

Looking around, Smitty saw the redhead fleeing the crowded room, MacGreg following. He frowned. Gone to take advantage of the situation, no doubt.

Jane leaned over the table and hissed, "Shore leave!"

"What? Oh. Yes, she does need it, that's clear," he agreed. All three days. It's as close to a vacation as can be managed.

"If you don't authorize three days for her, I will!" Jane warned.

"But-" Never mind. She's not in the mood to listen. He nodded. "Understood."

No comments:

Post a Comment