Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Insomnia


Month 9 Day 3
(Shore Leave Day 4)
0006 Hours
Smitty

The lobby was dark when Smitty reached the end of the hallway. Such day and night demarcations always took some getting used to when he was on shore leave. This time, the lack of light rather fit his mood. With a deep sigh, he entered the darkness and made his way to the closest drink dispenser. The machine promptly dispensed the gin he ordered, which he took to a tiny table in the darkest corner. He refused to glance at the map on the wall.

Maybe Jane was right, that this won’t work. Caroline looks as much like Colleen as she possibly can, but it’s not enough. I know she isn’t Colleen. I can’t forget it. Instead of satisfying my… lust, having her near makes me want the real woman even more. And after that first night, I expect the real woman to show up anywhere.

He took a swallow of his gin and sighed again. Nearly had a heart attack when Bugalu and Capac joined the campfire stories. Luckily, they were both talking with others when they arrived, so I don’t think they saw us. Caroline was surprised by my hurried insistence on leaving, but she didn’t argue with me. Well, paid dates seldom argue, unless the customer really gets out of line. Now I can’t sleep. If Bugalu is here, then she must be here, too!

He scrubbed his face with one hand. Or maybe not. Bugalu may be her boy friend, but she has other friends. She could be off shopping with Abdulla and Temple, or… It’s none of my business! And constantly thinking about her will only keep my stomach tied in knots!

“You should have come with me on the botany hike,” Bugalu  stated as he and Capac entered the  lobby.

Blast! Smitty froze in his dark corner, hoping they wouldn’t notice him. It seemed to work; they never cast an eye around the dim room as they walked over to study the huge map.

“I enjoyed the scenery at the hot and cold pools,” Capac returned.

Bugalu shook his head. “Women don’t like to be called ‘scenery’, Capac. If you want to get along with them, try not to de-humanize them.”

“The ladies were lovely. But I didn’t mean them. In Peru, we have many icy cold waterfall pools, and some hot springs, but not in such close proximity. It was interesting to see the plants change so quickly in such short a distance.”

“See? You do have some interest in botany.”

“That’s not what I meant!”

“Look, that’s how my hobby of exo-botany got started. We were charting a marginally M-type planet when I saw a plant that reminded me of the tiger lilies my grandmother grew in her back yard. But grandma never managed to get her half a dozen tiger lilies to grow higher than 2 feet in her yard, and the alien plants were like a forest.” He moved forward to study the map more intently.

“What are you checking the map for? They won’t get back for at least another day.”

“Yes, that’s what the concierge said, isn’t it?” Bugalu agreed. “But the concierge doesn’t know Yellow Dog and Tall Bear. Or understand the rivalry between them.”

“What rivalry?”

“They each try to prove they’re a better brave than the other.”

“Brave?”

“To the American Indians, a brave was a skilled warrior and hunter. When the tribes were displaced from their ancestral homes, most started to lose their culture, customs and skills. Eventually, they established schools and camps to help their young people learn those ancient crafts. Tall Bear and Yellow Dog aren’t from the same tribes, but each is trying to prove what they’ve learned.”

“Sounds silly. Anyway, they still have to sleep. And so do we.”

“Before white man invaded their land, many AmerInd tribes had bouts of warfare with other tribes. Going from warfare to friendly rivalry doesn’t sound silly to me. Lets them hone skills they otherwise wouldn’t get to use. As for sleeping, be patient. I think they’re approaching the Hot Spot.”

“What? Impossible!”

“Look for yourself.”

Capac joined him for a long study of the map. Then the Peruvian stepped back, shaking his head. “It’s supposed to be a 3-day hike.”

“Probably is for most people coming to revel in the great outdoors. Have you seen YD running around the ship?”

“Many times.”

“Bear has started doing it, too. Both their tribes were known for long-distance running.”

“So… they ran? All day long?”

“That would be my guess. We might as well get a drink and wait. Should only be a few minutes.”

Smitty dared to take a drink as his body relaxed. Yellow Dog and Tall Bear. Wearing themselves out on a 100-mile race. That’s okay, then. I’ll just finish this drink and go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment