Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Contest (Prologue)


Month 9 Day 9
(Shore Leave Day 10)
1303 Hours
Capt Jane Burke

On the top floor of the multi-level arcade, Jane sat at a tiny table nursing a fizzy, non-alcoholic drink as she watched the flickering screens that lined the ceiling, which gave her a bird’s eye view of the entire crowded facility. Those screens were intended to show those at the small snack bar how much fun was to be had in the arcade, to entice them to stop dawdling and get back to playing. But Jane had long ago learned to use items for her own purpose. Well, Temple is talking to Duck again. Wonder what he’s done to get back on her good side. No, I probably don’t want to know.

Her eyes found a familiar form on another screen. Smitty just keeps wandering, up and down, around and around, observing everything and seeing nothing, would be my guess. I suppose that date with MacDowell didn’t go well. I should have dressed him down for even thinking of it. No, back up, Jane, he was truly shocked when she gave her name, so he must have expected a look-alike. A made-to-order. And somehow got the real MacDowell instead. Made-to-orders are expensive, and never go the way the customer expects. Is he done with her? Or eager to get back to looking for his... whatever?

That screen changed to another view. Speaking of the devil, there’s MacDowell, sipping a drink and watching the AmerInds play a game. Nooto? Security types love that game, so I have no doubt Bear is good at it. But from the look on his face, Dog is making him work. Jane heard a step approach from behind her and looked around.

“Was that Dog and Bear playing Nooto?” Bugalu asked. The screen had already flickered to a new view.

“Yes,” Jane confirmed. “Looks like she was giving him a run for the prize.”

Bugalu smiled. “Again? She seems to be a lot more competition for him than Xenokis was yesterday,” Bugalu stated and sat down with his drink to face her. “You poached my security head.”

I’d make him my actual security head if I could. Jane gave Bugalu a sympathetic smile. “When we’re on shore leave, even I want to stay as far from Winthrop as I can.”

“Well, I can’t -” He stopped, realizing what he was saying, and who he was saying it to. “- fault you for that,” he finished, because they were on shore leave, neither of them in uniform, and this was a private conversation that she had initiated.

“Thank you.” She took another brief look at the screens, which, this time, showed nothing of interest to her. “You issued this challenge almost a year ago. You just found out I stole your security head. Are you sure you’re ready to proceed?”

“If you don’t mind a last minute substitution. Or two.”

Two substitutions? Of course he has to substitute for Tall Bear, but I thought I knew who else would be on the challenging team. “I never asked you who you expect to be your crew, so how can I object?” The helmsman nodded. “Tell me something,” Jane asked.

“About my crew?”

“No, about you. What do you expect to get out of this challenge?”

“You’re my captain,” he answered slowly. “A successful and respected officer of the Fleet. I can’t think of a better person for me to compare my decisions against.”

Flattery? I didn’t expect that. Maybe he actually meant it. “Most people who issue a challenge expect to win.”

“If that was what I wanted, I wouldn’t have challenged senior officers. If one of mine beats one of yours, that would be great. But I started playing this game to have fun. Then I realized I was learning from playing. Now what I really want is to learn. My team will do their best, I have no doubt of that. But if all they get from this is a chance to learn, I think they’ll realize that they have won.”

“That almost sounds like a diplomat talking.” And diplomacy can be one of the skills needed by a good officer.

“I mean it, captain.”

“Fair enough. I’ve slapped down several too-big-for-their-britches junior officers over the years. But that doesn’t mean I’ll go easy on you.”

“Good. The harder the game, the more I’ll learn.” He finished his drink and stood. “I believe we specified 1330 hours.”

“We did. I’ll be down in a minute or two.” Jane watched Bugalu head for the stairs to the lower levels of the arcade, picked up his glass and sniffed it. She couldn’t detect any alcohol. Good. Some of them never seem to understand that they lose points for having alcohol in their system. I’m glad he understands the rules of this game.


No comments:

Post a Comment