Friday, September 13, 2019

An Eager Student (Part 2)


Month 9 Day 17
0812 Hours
Smitty

Previously:
He took a deep breath , worked hard to gather all his will power together. And hoped it was enough. “The idea is for you to watch and listen to my explanation concerning the installation, possibly even to participate to some measure.”
Her face lit up with pure pleasure. “Sounds like fun!”

He was surprised by her enthusiasm. It was an emotion he didn’t remember seeing on her face before. “There’s a... panel at the head of your bed, in the storage unit. Go ahead and open that. We’ll need to patch the GR unit into the power grid.”

She was on her knees and had the panel open in under a second. She doesn’t seem to be pretending an eagerness to learn.

He lowered himself beside her, and handed her the small piece of equipment. “This is a GR142. Not the smallest grav unit in existence, but one of the smallest we keep on hand. If we need one smaller, we’d have to fabricate it. Now, I know you aren’t familiar with grav units, but look it over. Can you tell which side goes up and which goes down?”

Her brow furrowed as she looked it over. “Is this a grav unit or an anti-grav unit?”

“Both, depending on how you set it up.”

She promptly held it out on one palm. “Since we want to add to the existing gravity field, I think it should be set up like this.”

“Very good. You’re right. Now, a gravity field is generally round, and it peters out after a certain distance. The smallest distance on this size is 3 feet in 6 directions. I can tweek that a bit, make it 3 feet in both directions on the x axis, 2 feet in both directions on the y axis, and 4 feet in one direction on the z axis.” He proceeded to show her how to manipulate the 3 tiny sets of controls to get the configuration he’d spoken of.

She considered the size of the bed. “So, if I roll over in my sleep, and a hand or foot winds up in a corner of the bed, it might feel like it’s floating?”

“That’s right. And if you sit up of a morning without turning off the extra gravity, you might get dizzy as your head emerges from the gravity field.”

“Probably not,” she returned. “I’m pretty short. Compared to most people.”

“Ahhhh...” The first several responses that came to mind were highly flirtatious, and for the life of him, Smitty could not think of any responses that weren’t. He felt his face go red and decided to concentrate on the work at hand. “Okay, so this looks like about the center of this storage area.” He laid the unit down and reached for a tool, only to find Colleen handing it to him.

How did she do that? I didn’t feel it leave my tool belt. How did she know what I’d need? “Thank you. A few twists on each of these two anchors will fix it in place. And then-“ He felt the next item tug lightly at his tool belt, wasn’t surprised when she handed it to him. “Now we connect the power supply.” He shoved the small connector on the length of wire into the receiving hole on the GR unit, let her plug in the other end in the panel. “Computer, initialize and coordinate the GR142 unit now attached to Colleen’s bed.”

“Command not understood,” the computer told him.

“Computer, initialize and coordinate the GR142 unit now incorporated in MacDowell’s bed,” Colleen requested.

“Confirmed,” the computer agreed.

“Why did it balk when I asked it to do that?” Smitty muttered.

“You used my first name,” she answered quietly.”

I did?

“The GR142 unit is now initialized and coordinated,” the computer reported.

“Now we should test it,” he muttered, and stood up, intending to put the mattress down where it belonged. “Computer, increase MacDowell’s bed to Gaelunde standard gravity,” he instructed, and felt as if a weight had landed on his back as he reached for the mattress.

“Computer, cancel gravity on MacDowell’s bed!” Colleen insisted, sounding panicked.

Smitty looked at her as everything above his knees seemed to suddenly be floating. He saw her reach for him, and then suddenly turn green in the face. He forgot the mattress, reached down to grab her shoulders and shoved her out of the newly-installed gravity zone, softening her fall with his arms. “Are you all right?”

Green eyes stared at him in confusion. “I guess so. What happened?”

“You canceled gravity in your bed. The computer took that to mean all gravity.”

“No wonder I suddenly felt sick.”

“Why did you do it? I said we needed to test it.”

“You were moving into the gravity zone. I didn’t want you to hurt yourself.”

“Okay, I may only be an Earthling, but even Gaelund gravity isn’t going to make a mattress that heavy.” Her face turned pink, and he marveled at how much more beautiful a little blush made her. “Computer, return gravity to normal 1 G on Colleen’s bed.”

“Command not understood.”

Space, I’ve done it again. “I meant MacDowell’s bed. And in the future, if I ever mention Colleen in this room again, I mean MacDowell.”

“Instruction understood. And achieved.”

“I like it when you use my name,” she whispered.

And I like laying here next to her. Space, what am I doing? This is no position to be in with an underling! He started to get up, ignoring the way her fingers seemed to pluck at his uniform sleeves. “I’ll put your mattress back where it belongs, and then we’ll test the field strength.”

He put the mattress to its usual position, and reached behind him for another tool, only to find her hand already around it. He jerked his hand away, and she brought the piece of equipment around in front of him. “A grav field tester?”

“Right,” he agreed, took it from her and lay it in the middle of the mattress, then turned it on. “Okay, Earth standard, as it ought to be. But grav units are notorious for not being accurate when you first install them. Only to be expected; they’re usually built under natural gravity, and once they’re installed, they have to work in conjunction with other grav units. Computer, adjust the gravity on Colleen’s bed to Gaelund standard.”

“Achieved.”

“That readout doesn’t look right.”

“It’s not,” he agreed. “Computer, adjust the gravity on Colleen’s bed up by 1% of 1G.”

“Achieved.”

“That’s better.”

“Still not right.” Don’t want her to start dreaming she can’t breathe. “Computer, adjust the increased gravity down by .1%.”

“Achieved.”

“Down another .13%”

“Achieved.”

“Okay. That’s good,” he decided. “Computer, until instructed differently, this is where you set the gravity field to produce standard Gaelund gravity on this bed.”

“Understood.”

“Good. Standard gravity on Colleen’s bed.” He scooped up the grav field tester and handed it to her. “The 2 fields that now cover your bed area will take some time to adjust to each other. Keep this tester for a few days. Each day, before you go to bed, test the double field and make adjustments like I just did. Do you understand that?”

She stared at him for several seconds. “You trust me to do that... on my own?”

“I’m beginning to think you pick up things a lot faster than I gave you credit for.” Anything to keep me out of her bedroom again. And I can always have Della double-check it in the mornings before she reports for duty.

She gave him a slow smile as she accepted the tester. “Thank you, Smit.”

“Okay, then. I’m done here, so you can get some sleep. And no nightmares!”

“I’m pretty sure my dreams will be much nicer now,” she assured him, laying the tester on the table next to her bed.

“Good night,” he told her, and forced himself to turn and leave. No doubt my dreams tonight will be hot and steamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment