Thursday, January 16, 2020

More Dreams


Month 10 Day 25
2351 Hours
Smythe

His bedroom lights didn’t go on when he entered. Someone rustled as she pressed against him to kiss the corner of his mouth. He smelled whiskey and lilacs. “Colleen,” he groaned, but it was too late; already his hands were holding her close. He should send her away

“Merry Christmas, Dear,” she breathed.

“You’re confined to quarters,” he reminded her, even as his shaft grew confined between them.

“But it’s Christmas,” she protested, and nibbled his ear lobe as his hands slid to her buttocks. He could hardly feel her through the stiff, crinkly stuff she wore. “I’m your present,” she whispered.

“You?” The paper tore; he could feel her soft warmth through the rips.

She giggled as she rubbed against him, tearing the paper more. “One size fits all.”

All, he thought as he kissed her hungrily. Like Bugalu, MacGregor, Tall Bear- But his urgent need for her didn’t care about that. He had to have her, and his scruples be spaced. “Just once,” he promised himself, and tore the paper from her.

“If that’s all you want,” she agreed, and pulled him to the bed.

“Just once,” he repeated as he slid into her ready body. She didn’t answer him with words. In a moment - it seemed like only a moment - he groaned her name as he reached climax far too soon to satisfy him.

“Let’s do it again,” she whispered in his ear.

“Yes,” he agreed, and kissed her soft cheek.

“Mr Smythe?”

He blinked. How did she get out of bed without my knowing it? He realized that he had made love to his pillow. “Just a dream,” he told himself.

“What?”

He twisted to face the door, saw a red-uniformed woman there, but it was too dark to see who it was. Deja vu. This is the dream. Wait, why would I dream of her being over there, if I actually have her in my arms over here?”

“Sir, I know it’s late, and I know you’re... um, sleeping, but I must talk to you.”

That’s not- “Wilson!” he identified her.

“Yes, sir.”

“Come in,” he invited in relief. Just what I need; a chat with a knowledgeable engineer. “Lights,” he requested, and sat up, then wished he’d been sleeping in underwear, at least. Well, the bedclothes are tangled around me, so she’s not seeing anything, and won’t be too embarrassed. He looked up to see her staring at him in consternation, still standing in the doorway. “Is there an emergency?” he asked.

“No, sir.”

He sighed in frustration. A small emergency would have put me back on the right track. Well, maybe it’s not urgent; it’ll still be engineering. “Then what is it?”

“It’s about Lt MacDowell, sir.”

He groaned, covered his face with his hands. “What’s she done?” he croaked.

He heard the door close and discovered Wilson had finally stepped inside, barely. “Adams told me you’ve confined her to quarters.”

“Yes,” he admitted. Why does she care? Unless they’re fighting over Bugalu, and it leaves the field open for her.

“No one was sure why, but Boyd thought it had something to do with the mistletoe?” she went on.

He sighed and gave a tired nod. “She disobeyed an order.”

She stared at him in confusion. “What order did you give about mistletoe?”

“None,” he stated, and knew he’d have to explain. “A few months ago, she used an anti-grav unit in a device to play a trick on someone. I envisioned a rash of such tricks being played aboard ship, so I ordered her not to recreate it, nor tell anyone how. Apparently, she thought I wouldn’t mind if it carried mistletoe instead of balloons of water. But when I give an order, I expect it to be followed!”

“She didn’t disobey.”

“I can’t have my people disobeying just because- What?”

She swallowed. “Mac didn’t build the mistletoe units. I did.”

Do I believe her? “No need to protect her, Wilson. Did Bugalu ask you to?”

She shook her head. “Mac takes her lumps, and Bugalu expects her to,” Wilson replied. “Mac had absolutely nothing to do with the mistletoe anti-grav units.” She cleared her throat and added, “But you did.”

“Me!” I never even saw them until this evening!

“Some time ago, you asked me, if I were inclined to pull the old bucket of water over the door trick, how would I do it on a starship? I had no idea, but you said there was no hurry, there was no telling how long she had thought about it. I didn’t know who you were talking about, but apparently somebody had figured it out, so it could be done. You never did check back, but I figured it out. Then I used that as the basis for the mistletoe units. Mac was not involved. Sir.”

He sighed, for he had, indeed, asked that question. I wondered how long it had taken Colleen to figure it out. Well, I was wrong tonight, and I need to apologize. I’ll just hurry to her quarters and -  He froze in the midst of loosening the blankets tangled around him. Alone in her quarters? Not again! His eyes wildly sought out the chronometer, wondering if he dare put it off. Relief flooded through him. It’s past midnight. She’s on duty on the bridge. I don’t need to go to her quarters.

He again started to untangle the bed clothes, then realized Wilson was still present. His face went warm. “Thank you, Wilson. I’ll... correct my error.”

“Yes, sir.”

When she made no move to leave, he asked, “Something else?”

She looked uncertain. “I don’t usually get involved in other people’s lives...”

“Good.” But she’s about to.

“But, um, I have reason to believe, from things I’ve... observed...” She blushed, and couldn’t look at him. “It appears MacDowell... drives you crazy.”

“Does it?” he asked blandly, careful to keep all expression off his face. Whatever her meaning, I can never admit that.

She swallowed, plunged ahead. “I just want to say that Mac’s a nice person, and she wants very much to please you, but she’s-- Her father... had very exacting expectations of her.” That’s cold water in my face. I have high standards for my people, too. Is that the source of her inability to think in my presence? I’m too much like her father? “Anyway, I think you... both... need to relax around each other. And the easiest way to do that, it seems to me, would be for you to spend time with her.”

“Spend time with her?” Does she mean what I think she means? “I suppose I should take her dancing?” he demanded, and realized that was what he wanted, not what she’d said. “I spent her first 4 days in her company; that was enough!” he growled.

“Yes, sir,” Wilson agreed, and sighed. “I just thought if you answered her questions... on Mondays...” She sighed yet again. “Well, never mind. Good night, sir.”

He continued to stare at the doorway even after the evening engineer had left. If I answered Colleen’s questions, what? I’d soon be seduced, that’s what. Surely that can’t be what Wilson was suggesting? She’s got better sense than that.

Besides, you don’t go to the top rung of the ladder without using the lower rungs first. And if those lower rungs serve your purpose, you don’t bother the top rung at all. She’s been using those rungs, and they are more than capable of teaching her. A delicious shiver went down his spine at the thought of spending time with Colleen, of sitting at the same table, side by side, their knees touching, his hand on hers, her lips so sweet- I wouldn’t dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment