Thursday, February 6, 2020

Second Try

Month 10 Day 26
0302 Hours
Smythe

Smythe swallowed and took a deep breath as the lift neared the bridge again. This time, I’ll keep this short, to the point and public; I won’t be distracted. The lift door opened.

“She’s been acting strange ever since she got back,” he heard Adams say. “That’s 4 diagnostics she’s started in an hour.” Is he still here?

“Maybe there’s a glitch she’s trying to track down,” Evans suggested.

“I doubt she’d be humming if that was the case,” Adams answered sourly.

“You know, she was flushed when she got back,” Evans pointed out.

“Yeah,” Adams agreed. “And her quarters are on Deck 4, too.”

“Think they had time?”

Is he trying to imply...

“Hard to tell, with a man his age. What about it, Mac, did you sink your claws into another senior officer?”

“Or, to put it another way, did he get sunk into you?” Evans snickered.

Smitty felt his temper rise at Evans’ daring. He did his best to tamp it down and smother it, because obviously she had been right about the slander these two would spread at any hint of outrage.

She noticed an incoming message, and made arrangements for it to be recorded. “That’s not a valid question to ask while on duty - or at any other time - so I won’t answer. Quit wasting my time and let me work.”

Adams placed his face right up to hers. “Why don’t you quit wasting time? Sooner or later—”

“Still here, Adams?” The entire bridge crew turned in surprise. Maybe I should make the lift open with a bit more noise. Then again, maybe I shouldn’t. Maybe I should visit the bridge in the middle of the night more often. On the other hand, it isn’t a smart idea to deliberately seek her out when I have such strong reactions to her.

“Mr Smythe.” I can almost see his mind working on an excuse. “I, uh... Lt MacDowell is having difficulty with an irritating glitch, so I thought I would help.”

“Oh?” he asked, taking a step closer.

The redhead gave a delicate snort and muttered, “Like I need help from a half-wit engineer.” Does she mean all engineers are half-wits? Or only this particular one?

“If I remember correctly,” Smitty said calmly, “Communications is not one of your strong points, Adams. It would have made more sense to send Hicks.”

Adams swallowed. “Mr Smythe--“

“Adams,” he broke in ruthlessly. “I put you in charge of night shift because I thought you could handle the assignment. Having made the decision, I don’t like to change things around.” He waited half a beat. “Unless I need to.” He smiled, but felt no friendliness towards the man. “Have I made myself clear?”

“Absolutely,” Adams answered. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll get back to deck 16.”

“Yes, do that,” Smythe agreed, and watched as the young man left. He turned to Evans, who was halfway back to his own post, and raised his eyebrows questioningly. “Were you assisting also, Evans?”

“Ahh, no,” the lieutenant replied, but offered no further explanation. He silently took his position at the helm.

“Then I’ll have a few words with MacDowell.”

Evans whirled. “Again?” He seemed aghast at his unthinking response and quickly added, “Of course, Mr Smythe. I’ll have someone cover for her, but, um... just in case we need her, will you... be on deck 4 again?”

Smitty’s heart stopped at the thought, but he fought not to let his reaction show. “Oh, no need for any of that. This won’t take long; I’ll simply speak with her here.”

“Oh. Okay. Of course.” He almost seems disappointed.

The incoming message was complete, and she methodically sent it through internal channels to its destination. This cool, efficient woman is so different from the bungling girl I remember from those first few days. His anger melted. “Colleen,” he began quietly, and took a step closer. “I’ve learned that I was mistaken, that you weren’t involved in those mistletoe units. Therefore, your confinement to quarters is canceled. I... hope you can forgive me. Also that you’ll consider what we discussed earlier. Good night.” He turned for the lift.

“Wait!” When he turned back, she nearly ran into him. “You’re canceling my punishment?” she declared, and it looked like panic in her eyes, instead of the relief he’d expected. “You can’t do that!”

“I just did,” he blurted, shocked once again by her contrary nature.

“No, but,” she protested, ‘what if I say that you weren’t mistaken after all?”

What is this? Does she want to be confined? Why? If she doesn’t feel like leaving her room, that’s her choice. “Are you saying Wilson lied to me?”

“Wilson?” she squeaked, completely distraught. “No, not Ivy.” She wrung her hands, looked everywhere but at him. “But the party! That never should have happened while I was confined.”

It’s true; for some reason, she wants to be confined, and she’s searching for a way to make me do it. How far will she go? It’s 1 thing to take one’s lumps, as Wilson said, but she hasn’t done anything to take lumps for. “Since the punishment was a mistake, I can hardly hold the party against you. Anyway, the party wasn’t your idea.”

“Oh, dear, this isn’t going right,” she muttered, and looked up in sudden inspiration. “Yes, dear. Whatever you think, dear. You’re the boss, dear.”

How dare she--! He stopped being mad by the time she reached the 3rd ‘dear’, and actually grinned at her when she got it all out. “Apparently, you’re trying to make me angry so I’ll confine you again. I don’t know why you want that, but I won’t be manipulated that easily. If you want to stay in your room, then stay there; don’t drag me into it.”

She muttered something he didn’t hear, bit her lower lip and turned back to her station. “Maybe Mac will throw me in sick bay. He always wants to.”

Smitty unaccountably found his teeth were grinding. “Perhaps so,” he agreed sourly, though she hadn’t been speaking to him, and retreated from the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment