Thursday, January 28, 2021

Try Again & Interrupting Yet Again

Try Again

Month 14 Day 14

16:12 Hours

Bugalu

The door opened to let him in, just like usual. “Mac, are you up?”

She appeared in the doorway to the bedroom in her engineering red uniform. “Of course I am, I work days now.”

“How did your first day go?”

“Very nerve-wracking, actually. I kept expecting Smit to ask a question and my mind to go blank.”

“It didn’t go blank on you?”

“Well... I don’t remember him asking any questions. He just told me to go do things, and I did them. But I don’t think they were busy-work things. I was actually doing engineering!”

“Good for you. And about time, too. Now, before I go have supper, we need to talk. Privately. Is Della here?”

“Been here and gone. Supper, I think. What’s so important? Can’t we talk about it over supper?”

“No, I said privately. And after his reaction when we went to the movies, I don’t think Mr Smythe would appreciate us having supper together.”

Her face paled. “I tried to explain to him that we’re brother and sister.”

“People have trouble believing that kind of relationship can exist. I think we’re going to have cool things until he can accept it.” If he ever can.

“Well, sit down and let’s talk, then.”

She sat on the sofa; he chose the armchair. “I don’t suppose anybody’s ever talked to you about sex, so I guess I’d better.”

She smiled shyly. “Don’t be silly. I know about sex.”

Her pronouncement caught him off-guard. “How?”

“Well, for one thing, I looked it up. A lot of innuendoes and stuff like that started making sense.”

“So you know what to expect on your wedding night?”

“Well, I’ve never experienced it, yet, but I know the basics of what will happen, yeah.”

“What about pa? Is he going to get in the way?”

Pink-faced, she managed to say, “He hasn’t so far. Not with Smit.”

“What does that mean? What have you done with Smythe that might have awakened pa?”

“Kissing. Hugging. A lot of feeling.”

Making out, then. No wonder he’s so anxious to get married. “Has he ever mentioned anything about your being pregnant?”

“No, of course not. ’Cause I’m not.”

“But if he’s heard the rumor, how would he know you’re not?”

“That isn’t possible on a Fleet ship. I got my shot when I came aboard. People would be a fool to listen to that particular rumor. And I don’t think Smit is a fool.”

“He doesn’t normally listen to rumors,” Bugsy agreed. “In fact, he’s a stickler for squashing them whenever he can. How long have you 2 been an item?”

“Don’t play dumb. You know when we got engaged.”

“But how long before that did you start making out?”

“A couple of times. Why?”

“It just seems to me he hasn’t got much reason to ask you to marry him. Unless he thinks you’re pregnant.” Would Smythe see that as a reason to marry her? Maybe, because unwed mothers don’t last long in the Fleet, and he might think it worth it, to keep her in. Side-lined, for sure, but still in. She could get a job on the ground somewhere, and still be able to use her skills and knowledge.

“Maybe he loves me.”

Is that wishful thinking? Or is this Pa’s method of getting her back on track with his plans for her? Time to open her eyes. “Based on what? A couple make-out sessions? That’s not love, that’s lust. And that isn’t a good basis for marriage.”

She jumped to her feet, angry at this possible disruption to her plans. “Ha! This coming from a great make-out artist, himself! I don’t care what Smit’s reasons are, I’ll take him however I can get him!”

“But, Mac, if he believes you’re...”

“I don’t care! Now get out!”

“You heard the lady,” said a gruff voice, and Smythe glared at him from the bedroom doorway. “Get out. And don’t bother my fiancée again.”

How long has he been here? When I asked about Della, why didn’t Mac tell me she wasn’t alone? Well, he’s obviously not in any mood to listen to me. And neither is she. I suppose retreat is the word for the day. “If that’s what you want, Mac”.

 

 

Interrupting Yet Again

Month 14 Day 14

16:20 Hours

Smythe

 

   525   536   528   495   words

 

The door opened to let him into the bedroom, which was a bit of a surprise. Still, it meant nobody was in the midst of getting dressed, and entering beat the alternative of waiting for permission to enter, and possibly being seen. But we’re engaged now, so that shouldn’t be a big deal.

There was no one in the bedroom at all, but he could hear Colleen talking to someone in the living room. “You know when we got engaged.”

“But how long before that did you start making out?”

Bugalu’s voice. What an impertinent, nosey question.

“A couple of times. Why does it matter?”

“It just seems to me he hasn’t got much reason to ask you to marry him.”

Who is he to question my reasons for wanting to marry her? Unless he’s got an interest he hasn’t admitted to!

“Maybe he loves me.”

“Based on what? A couple make-out sessions? That’s not love, that’s lust. And that isn’t a good basis for marriage.”

“Ha! This coming from a great make-out artist, himself! I don’t care what Smit’s reasons are, I’ll take him however I can get him!” Smythe could hear the anger in her voice.

There, that should put him in his place. What does she mean, ‘however I can get him’?”

“But, Mac, if he thinks you’re...”

“I don’t care! Now get out!”

I’ve had enough. He stepped into the doorway to the living room. “You heard the lady,” Smythe said, glaring at the helmsman. “Get out. And don’t bother my fiancée again.” He stepped forward and put his arm around Colleen’s waist.

“Mac, is that what you want?” Bugalu asked.

Smythe fumed, but Colleen turned, making the hand on her waist more of an embrace. “We’re getting married, Bugs. Get used to the idea.” Finally, the man left, leaving the couple halfway in an embrace. “I didn’t hear you come in, but I’m glad you did,” Colleen said, rose up on her toes to give him a kiss.

He pulled her tight against him and gave her a deep kiss, which only made him hungry for more. Later, he told himself, and had to think why he had to wait. He finished the kiss, and held her loosely, which didn’t begin to satisfy his desire for her. Can I hold out another 12 days? “We should probably go and have some supper before we carry on more tests with Joe and George.”

“Hmm. How about going to the privacy dining room?”

Can I behave myself in the privacy dining room? We’re both in uniform, ready for our session with Wilson and Abdulla, so if we were seen kissing and so on... Well, that is why it’s called a privacy dining room, because it has a modicum of privacy. We’ll just have to sit on opposite sides of the table and be happy with holding hands. Just in case.

He took her hand in his and they started for the doorway. “I do wish you’d stop seeing Bugalu. Especially in private. I don’t think he approves of our engagement.”

“I suppose you’re right. Though he’s got to get used to it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment