Thursday, February 18, 2021

Finding the Bride and Groom

 Month 14 Day 18

2314 Hours

Anna Hamara

 Harris came into the living room from the bedroom, now in her nightgown and robe. "I'm sorry, sir, I really don't know how late it might be before she gets home tonight. But it's usually—"

The living room door opened and Mac came in. Her hair was mussed, her uniform disheveled, and she seemed dazed. Anna stood up from the couch. "Mac, I need to speak to you."

The redhead blinked a couple of times, unconsciously twisted her uniform into something resembling its proper position. "Chef Hamara, what's the problem?"

"You haven't answered any of my messages asking what type of wedding cake you want."

"Messages?" Her face turned pink. "I don't seem to have any time for messages, any more. What were they about? A wedding cake?"

"It is traditional for there to be a wedding cake when there's a wedding ceremony. But before I can make it, I need to know what kind you want."

"Oh, I don't know. The traditional kind, I guess."

Anna ground her teeth in aggravation for a moment. Most brides aren't as feather-brained as this. "The tradition is for the cake to have tiers. There really isn't any tradition as to what type of cake or frosting is used."

"Oh." Now she seemed completely at a loss. "I guess I haven't given it much thought."

At least I have some idea what she might like, thanks to Bugalu. "Here's a suggestion. I can make a white cake with white frosting, and put a layer of pineapple puree atop each tier. How does that sound? I know how much you like pineapple."

The talk of pineapple finally seemed to soak through her dazedness, and her face lit up. "That sounds wonderful! And it will look beautiful, too! Oh, I can hardly wait! Getting married and having pineapple to celebrate! Thank you, Chef!"

"Good. I'm glad that's settled. Now, I'll leave and let you girls get some sleep." She walked out and made her way to the officers' quarters, where she buzzed the doorbell on a certain doorway. The door opened and she walked in far enough to let the door close.

Smitty appeared in the bedroom doorway, his uniform tunic missing, a glass of booze in his hand. "What are you doing here?"

Apparently, he hasn't had any time to check his messages, either. "I understand you're getting married next week."

"Ahh, yes. About that—"

He's defensive? With me? Thought we were better friends than that. "I just spoke to your bride, at long last, about what type of wedding cake she wants, and she settled for a white cake, white frosting, and a layer of pineapple atop each tier. I hope that's agreeable with you."

"What? Um, yes, that sounds fine. Whatever Colleen wants is fine."

"I assume you two have finished making all the rest of the arrangements, and that the selection of the cake was merely an oversight."

"Ah. Arrangements." He took a healthy gulp from his glass. "Well, the captain will perform the ceremony, of course."

He seems as feather-brained about this as she was. "It won't mean a thing if you don't have approval from Headquarters. Have you even submitted that request?"

"I..." His voice faded away, his face pale.

"Smitty, are you even serious about marrying this girl?"

"Of course I am!" he declared.

"Well, it hardly seems like it! You haven't submitted the formal request, made any of the normal arrangements, and you couldn't even be bothered to choose what type of cake to have at the ceremony! What have you two been doing with your time?"

Now his face went red. "Well, we've been... we've been... getting to know each other. In a manner of speaking."

She nodded in understanding. No, they wouldn't want to be interrupted during that. "You've been having sex."

His face turned even more red. "Not exactly."

"Then what have you been doing?"

He swallowed and tried several times before he got out, "Making out."

"That's a great way to get started, but it quickly turns to frustration, if that's all you do." At his continued discomfort, she asked, "She won't have sex with you?" That's an old-fashioned attitude, but Gaelund hasn't been colonized that long.

He sighed and drank the rest of his drink. "Not until we're married."

Now she got a little angry, sure she understood what was going on. Wouldn't have believed it of Smitty, but he's practically admitted it. "Or at least, until she thinks you're married. Have a nice little ceremony, have your way with her for a few days, and then, suddenly, you realize the approval never came through from Headquarters, so you aren't married after all!"

"No! Anna! It's not like that! I really want to marry her! But when I'm with her, she drives me to distraction, I can't think about anything but her! And then when I'm not with her, I can't think about anything but being with her! That's why the paperwork hasn't been submitted, or any of the decisions been made!" He sat down at his desk and called up some paperwork, began filling it out. "Here, I'm going to fill out the request to get married and get it mailed out tonight. But honestly, I don't care about any of the details of the wedding. Whatever she wants will be fine. Although, I would prefer a small ceremony, and not some grand event."

"Even a small ceremony, Smitty, should have a few guests, so people don't wonder what you're trying to hide. Not to mention she should have a maid of honor and you, of course, should have a best man. If you insist on going through a charade of a marriage, at least do it right, and not some cheap imitation!" She gave him a dark glare. "And I thought I knew you!" She marched for the door and out it, and had reached her own quarters almost before she took another breath. She was too upset to get much sleep that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment