Saturday, November 13, 2021

Mac's Limitations & Quiet Night at the Movie

Mac's Limitations

Month 15 Day 6

0757 Hours

Ivy Wilson

"Look at you!" Ivy greeted the redhead who entered engineering. "No more sling!"

"Not a minute too soon, to my thinking," Mac replied joyously, raising her right arm up to about shoulder height. She grimaced and grabbed that shoulder with her left hand as she dropped the arm. "Although it's still sore and stiff."

"So, are you on light duty or not?" Ivy asked.

Mac shook her head, which threatened to toss a couple curls out of her chignon. "I honestly don't know. Dr Davis said she'd have to consult with Smi—uh, Mr Smythe."

So naturally, Smythe chose that moment to emerge from his office and approach them. "You're on light duty for the next several mornings."

Mac's lips moved, but no sound emerged, so she was probably cussing.

"I know how you feel," Smythe told her. "But we don't want to risk putting you back in a sling. Happily, your automation of the assignment sheets appear to be working. I've already sent our shift's roster to the captain's office. So you can continue with the other paperwork you've learned to do so effectively until lunchtime." He turned to walk off.

"And then what?" Mac asked hurriedly.

"Oh, well..." He seemed reluctant to tell her.

Does he not want her afternoon assignment to be overheard by the rest of engineering? Is it that embarrassing?

"After lunch, you'll be on trainee status," he revealed quietly.

It is that embarrassing!

"Trainee!" Mac declared in dismay.

Smythe held up a hand to calm her down. "Not because we doubt your knowledge. Or your skills. But because we don't want you trying to do something that your shoulder can't quite do yet. Like I said, let's not have you back in a sling."

Mac sighed in resignation, her shoulders slightly slumped. "Well, I guess that's some progress."

"It is," Smythe agreed. "And glad I am to let you do something besides paperwork. It's not the most exciting work to be done."

"You've got that right," Mac muttered. "It's not even challenging. It's simply... repetitious."

"Don't think being on trainee status will be much better, but at least you'll be able to move around."

"Thank you, sir," Mac told him.

"Who will be supervising her?" Ivy asked, because it looked like he was going to turn away without specifying, and she had her own thoughts on who would be a good fit for the job.

"I will," he stated right away. "She's my protégé."

"Oh." Who could object to that? Although I think Mac would, if she felt she could.

Then Smythe hesitated. "Assuming I'm free this afternoon." Mac cocked her head a degree or two to one side, as if she wanted to ask for more information, but wasn't sure she should. Smythe went on. "There's been an irregular blip in the port warp drive engine yesterday, and Wilson noticed it once during A shift, but couldn't track it down. So that's where Lt Ingram and I will be this morning, tracking it down and eliminating it. If we don't get done by lunch, you'll report to Ensign Stewart, who will supervise your work this afternoon."

"I'll report to an ensign?" Mac asked, and then snapped to attention. "Yes, sir."

Smythe considered her for a moment, then told her, "Ensign Stewart is an up and coming young man. Don't be too hard on him."

"Understood, sir."

Well, at least he didn't say Jones. Stewart is a smart kid, and keeps his hands to himself, so I don't suppose I can object.

Smythe glanced at the wall clock. "Wilson, you're relieved. Colleen, you know what to do. And I've got to get started on that warp engine." With a curt nod, he walked off.

Mac glanced at Ivy. "Anything I should know about Ensign Stewart?"

"Keep him thinking about engineering, and he'll be fine."

"Thank you, Ivy. Now I'd better get started on that paperwork." And so the 2 women went their separate ways.

 

Quiet Night at the Movie

Month 15 Day 6

1954 Hours

Bugalu

The lights hadn't gone down yet in the theater when they joined the growing crowd looking for seats. Bugalu found 2 seats together and paused to ask, "Which side do you want me on?"

"Left," Mac decided, and sat down in the right hand seat. "My right shoulder is still pretty sore, so don't put your arm around me, okay?"

He gave her a joking look. "Who's going to protect from the monsters in the movie?"

She gave a choking chortle. "Is that what you think you're doing? Protecting me from monsters? I haven't needed that since first year at the academy. Besides, I checked. Tonight is a comedy, not a horror movie."

"Well, I'm sorry we didn't get a pizza ordered in time."

"I was late getting my supper, having to go to physical therapy first, so I think something lighter. Maybe a piece of white cake with pineapple sauce."

"What, no ham?"

"I only asked for ham on my pizza because you and Matt wanted meat on it. For me, it was always the pineapple I wanted. It doesn't grow on Gaelunde, you know."

"I think you've told me at least a dozen times." He started to put his arm around her shoulders, remembered she didn't want him to, and put it back in his lap. "If I forget, I apologize in advance."

She took his right hand with her left one and held it firmly. "There, that should solve your forgetfulness."

She's a different person today than she was yesterday. Whatever she talked to Beth about last night, it must have eased her mind a great deal. The lights were starting to dim, but people were still looking for seats, including right behind them.

"Um, Mr Smythe?" Bugalu felt a chill go down his spine, and Mac's hand tightened around his. "Excuse me, could you scoot over a seat, so my date and I can sit together?"

"Of course," said an unmistakable voice from behind Mac.

Mac turned to look behind her, stared at her former fiancé, who was waiting for the movie, a sack of popcorn in his hand.

"Good evening, Colleen," he greeted evenly. "I believe it's a comedy tonight? That's good. I could use some cheering up. Lieutenant Bugalu."

The lights finished dimming, and Mac turned around to face the screen without responding to Smythe.

It's a good thing I didn't put my arm around her. He might have hauled her out of here. Again. How much of our conversation did he overhear? Well, as long as he doesn't try to drag her out of here—and I don't think she'd go meekly, this time—then I'll just try to enjoy the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment