Friday, December 10, 2021

A Change of Habit

 Month 15 Day 8

19:31 Hours

Jane Burke

 The book was a period mystery, but it involved time travel, so the period kept changing. It was definitely set on Earth, and it involved some humor, as well. Jane would have to look up other books by this author.

The doorbell startled her, and she glared across the room, but of course she couldn't see through the door to see who had disturbed her. She sighed and bookmarked her place, then rolled off her couch and stood up. She dropped her book on her desk as she walked to the door.

A quartet of joyous faces greeted her, and Smythe held up a nearly full bottle of whiskey.

"What's going on?" she asked, although now that she recognized Abdulla, MacDowell, and Wilson, she could think of 2 possible reasons for such joy. She wasn't sure which one she hoped it was.

"It worked!" Smitty declared, surging into her quarters. He headed for her liquor cabinet, probably for glasses.

No, that doesn't explain things for me. "What worked?" Did he convince MacDowell to get engaged again?

"The Yukoskian transportation machine we've been working on!" Abdulla explained. "We finally got it to transport items and not have those items be deformed!"

"Well, at least they don't look deformed," Wilson added. "We'll have to wait for the labs to run tests to make sure they remain identical to what we sent through the machines."

"Well, congratulations," Jane told them. "I see Mr Smythe intends to celebrate in his usual way." Not exactly. His usual method is with gin, but I've heard MacDowell won't drink anything but whiskey.

"I didn't have champagne," Smitty stated as he poured 2 fingers of brown liquid into 5 different glasses. "But this will do." He picked up one of the glasses and handed it to MacDowell, who hesitantly took it. As the other women each took a glass, Smitty took the last one and held it up for a toast. "To what looks like success."

"Absolutely," Jane agreed, and took a sip. As she lowered hers, she realized MacDowell hadn't even sipped. What's up with her? I've seen her drunk. I've heard how much she can handle. I've even heard rumors she has a secret cache of whiskey somewhere on the ship. This is a perfect excuse for her to drink. But instead, she's wrapped her hand around the glass to hide that she isn't drinking.

After the others drank, Smitty closed the bottle and sighed. "I wish we could continue, but it's a bit premature, since the labs haven't finished their tests. Besides, most of us have work in the morning, and Wilson in just a few hours. So I'll call an end to our evening, and I'll let you know what the labs say. Shouldn't take more than a day or two. In the meantime, I want each of you to think of something to run through the machines next week. But no live creatures yet; we aren't ready for that. Whatever you decide on, bring 2 of them to the session next week, so the labs can see what we start with, and what we wind up with."

"So you're moving along with more experiments," Jane stated.

"I don't see any reason to stop," he returned. "Just imagine what this could mean, just in moving cargo from space station to ship! Or vice versa."

"I have thought of it," she answered. "It could revolutionize shipping. I'd like to be kept in the loop, as you continue with your experiments. Don't save it all up for a grand finale. If I had more training in engineering, I'd consider joining you for at least some of these experiments."

"You'd be welcome to join us, captain," Smitty stated.

Jane dismissed the idea. "I'd get in the way and ask too many questions. Just let me know if the experiments are going well, or if you've hit a stumbling block."

"Of course, captain. Be happy to."

And since I'd be asking questions about something engineering, he won't mind if I ask them. But I won't be impeding the process of the experiments, and can cut him off if he gets too deep for me. Yes, that will work.

"Well, I do have to work in a few hours, so I'll say good night," Wilson stated. "Thank you for the celebratory drink, Mr Smythe."

"You're welcome, Wilson. I'll see you in the morning."

"I should be going, too," Abdulla decided. "I want to write a letter home about this, and I won't have time tomorrow."

"Lieutenant, tomorrow starts your weekend," Jane reminded her.

"Yes, and I've got 3 dates lined up over the course of the day," she admitted, and put down her glass to head for the door.

After those two left, Jane regarded the two who remained. By now, MacDowell had both hands wrapped around her glass, which she was staring at. Smitty was staring at the redhead warmly, his half bottle of whiskey held negligently in the crook of his elbow.

Taking another sip, Jane put the rest on the coffee table and led MacDowell by the arm toward the door, then leaned forward confidentially as she took her glass from her. "Did you think it was too soon to celebrate?"

"What? Well, no. Not really. I guess." She could hardly be heard.

Jane placed the drink on her desk and stopped near the doorway, turned to face the younger woman. "But you didn't drink."

For a moment, it seemed the face would become as red as her hair. "I... I..." She looked up. "I think I might be alcoholic. So I'm trying not to."

Do I believe that? What else would make sense? "Good for you. If you need help, Dr Fong provides counseling." A shadow appeared in the green eyes that Jane wondered about. "Or Dr MacGregor, if you prefer. Now, I'm going to keep Smythe here for a few minutes to give you a chance to get down the hall and out of sight, okay?"

MacDowell glanced back at the engineer. "I don't think he's stalking me."

"Let's not give him a chance to start tonight." She steered the girl out the door. Jane turned back to her chief engineer, picking up the untouched glass of whiskey as she passed the desk. "Here." She handed the glass to him.

He looked at it in confusion as he automatically took it. "Captain?"

"That's MacDowell's glass. Since she didn't want it, I thought you might drink it."

"Not want it?" he repeated.

"Next time you want to celebrate, maybe you should suggest cake, or ice cream," she proposed.

"We aren't children!"

"Smitty!" She put a touch of iron in her voice to get his attention, then softened it again. "If she doesn't want to drink, it isn't your place to try to force her."

His eyes widened at the idea. "No. Of course not." He tossed the whiskey down his throat, lowered the empty glass to the coffee table. "I wasn't trying to get her drunk, if that's what you were thinking, captain." He tightened his grip on his bottle. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

She let him get 3 steps away before she stopped him. "Smitty." He turned to face her. "She's wondering if she's alcoholic. That's why I thought another method of celebrating might be in order."

"Alco-!" He stopped his exclamation and pondered the possibility for a short moment. "Yes, captain. I understand." He seemed uncertain what else to say. "Thank you for telling me." He turned and left.

That redhead keeps surprising me. And Smitty, too, from what I can gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment