Thursday, June 16, 2022

Asking for Help

Month 16 Day 8

12:12 Hours

Drake MacGregor

Drake took his cup of coffee off the dumbwaiter in the middle of the table and then sat back, waiting for Mac to show up. He had just stuck his spoon into his drink when she entered the privacy dining room and looked around for him. He raised a hand over the booth top, and she moved forward, soon scooted into the booth opposite him. Drake turned on the privacy shield. "I assume you wanted to meet here so we won't be seen together."

She looked up in surprise, her eyes rather bloodshot above dark smudges. Her cheeks turned pink. "Actually, I was afraid I'd start crying." Moisture was gathering in those eyes, and she wiped at them with her uniform sleeves.

"What's got you so upset?" If Smitty's said something nasty to her, so help me—

"Everything," she answered, punching her choices into the menu console. "I can't get enough sleep, no matter what I do. I'm scared witless about this impending doom of being shipped planetside. Everybody says I have options, but I don't know what they are or how to find out about them. Even if I had the time to research them, which I don't. Because I'm sleeping so much."

"The sleeping is to be expected," he told her, and started counting things off on his fingers. "One, you're working 12 hours a day. That's hard on anybody's system, and your body wants more sleep to make up for it. Plus, you've had the shock of diflaxibrophine poisoning, and your body is trying to repair the damage done. So you need more sleep for that. And finally, your body is going through a lot of changes, getting ready to have this baby. A lot of women need extra sleep during the first trimester."

She grimaced. "Well, that explains it, but it doesn't help me deal with it. I can't get anything done except work and sleep!" Her oatmeal, toast and tea arrived on the dumbwaiter, and she pulled it toward her. "And maybe grab a bite to eat now and again, if the morning sickness will let me."

"The ginger tea isn't helping with that?"

"It helps, when I've got some. But I was too busy crying in a privacy room to stop by the mess hall and get any on my way here."

"Crying can be part of the hormones of the first trimester, too." He punched a tiny button on the menu console.

A tinny voice said, "Mess Hall. What can I do for you?"

"Put a teaspoon of ground ginger in a mug, pour hot water over it, and send it up," he instructed.

"I will do that," the voice promised.

Mac stared at the console. "I didn't know you could do that."

"Only higher officers get to do it, and the captain can revoke the privilege if she feels it's being abused. Personally, there's seldom a time I want to use it. Anna puts out a good menu."

"But you aren't eating anything now," Mac observed.

"This is my evening," Drake told her. "I had my supper at 8 this morning, and I'm about to go to the barracks and turn in."

Mac shook her head. "I thought keeping people's shifts straight was hard enough when I only worked 8 hrs, but working 12 makes it even worse."

"Okay, options," he went on. "You can get rid of the baby, and continue on the Fireball."

"I like the latter half, but not the first half."

"Kind of thought so. You don't have to stay in the Fleet. You can resign, and get a small pension, based on the number of years you've been in the Fleet. Being at the Academy doesn't count towards it. In that case, I would suggest that the Yukosk dictionary you've been working on, get it sent in for publication. Even if you don't think it's ready, send it in, and then send in updates. The royalties will give you a little more to live on. Same with any other papers or books you can pull together and send for publication."

"I haven't figured out how to get her share of the royalties to Kolla."

"Smitty can help you get that sort of stuff figured out." He paused and added. "Or, if he's not willing, the captain will."

"He and I are... talking," she stated. "I haven't said I'd marry him, but we're talking about options if I do. He's saying all the right things, but I've seen abrupt turn-arounds before, and I'm not sure I can trust what he says. And it doesn't help that we can only squeeze 2 or 3 minutes out of each shift change."

"You have to do what's best for you," he told her. "Now, having said that, you don't have to get married, but in that case, you will be transferred planet-side, probably to a desk job, to start. With your credentials, you could request a transfer to a particular place, but it's going to start as a desk job."

"So, a lieutenant's pay, plus whatever royalties I get. To house, clothe and feed myself and my child."

"In the Fleet, wherever you're stationed, they'd provide a small apartment for you and the child. Which is no small deal, considering how expensive housing can be."

"How do I find out about transfer possibilities?"

"Let's get through the various options first. Finding out about transfer possibilities is the same for all of them. Well, all of them where you stay inside the Fleet."

"You covered me not getting married. What else is there to consider?"

"You can get married and leave the Fleet. Small pension, royalties, whatever you make from whatever job you find. If your husband stays in the Fleet, you'll share his paycheck."

"Wouldn't the Fleet separate us if only one of us is still in it? So what's the use of getting married?"

"I never said it was ideal. We're looking at all the possibilities here."

"Oh. I see. Okay, go on." A mug of hot ginger tea arrived on the dumbwaiter, and she sipped at it before she started her supper. Drake had a lot of things to explain to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment