Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Date / The Plan

The Date

Month 11, Day 12

1904 Hours

Tall Bear

 Tall Bear was careful to keep his hands in his pockets as he and Mac walked to the theater. She had agreed to a date at New Year’s, but after Winthrop’s attack, he figured it would be quite a while before she was ready to consider it. So it surprised him when she had suggested a movie tonight. He didn’t even know what was playing. Nor did he care. He just didn’t want to do anything to frighten her, so he kept his hands in his pockets.

As they approached the theater’s concession area, he asked, “Did you want any popcorn or anything?” When she gave him a slightly confused look, he explained. “It’s fairly traditional to have popcorn and a beverage while you watch the movie.”

“Not for me. I just had breakfast. Tradition for Bugs and me is to have ham and pineapple pizza after the movie.”

“I didn’t know that. I didn’t order any pizza.”

“That’s okay. That’s my tradition with Bugs. If we continue to have more of these dates, maybe we should find our own tradition to go with it.”

“Oh, you mean, like following up with a cheeseburger and fries? Or an ice cream sundae?”

“Unless we watch the movie twice, it would be a little early for those. For me. Did you want to watch it twice?”

“I don’t even know what the movie is tonight,” he admitted.

“I don’t remember the name, but somebody said it’s a comedy. I could use a comedy. I’ve had to limit my sessions with Dr Fong to every 2nd day. Too much drama to do it every day anymore.”

“I don’t want to get too nosey, but is he helping you at all?”

She considered that question as they found seats in the middle of the auditorium. “I think so. But mostly I think I keep surprising him. I’m not sure he’s grasped that what surprises him is either boring and/or something I’ve tried to suppress a good deal of my life.”

“Like your father’s belief that women don’t know how to fix anything?”

“We haven’t even gotten to that one yet. And that’s only one of daddy’s many dictates.”

“Yeah, I can see where you would need time in between sessions,” he told her. “When I went to NAmerInd school, I was glad they left us so much time for ‘Inner Searching’. We not only were learning all the skills our ancestors had once mostly lost, but we needed to figure out how we were going to incorporate ourselves into the world we now lived in.”

“Why would you want to learn lost skills?”

Because it’s part of our heritage. No culture should have their heritage obliterated just because a new culture appears. Anyway, that’s what my ancestors thought. My recent ancestors. So several tribes banded together and formed schools where they could teach the old skills, ancient rites and myths to the youngsters. It’s pretty intense, but I thought it well worth the 2 years I spent there. Yellow Dog spent 3 years at hers.”

Somebody poked his nose between them and remarked, “So Tall Bear finally has a date with MacDowell. I knew there was something between you two, all those lunches together.”

“Adams, keep your nose out of my business,” Tall Bear told him without looking around.

“Or what, Mr Temporary Security Chief? Are you going to punch me and let me file charges against you?”

“No,” Tall Bear answered. “But I won’t see anything if my date does.”

“None of us will see a thing,” said a voice a little further away.

Wow. That’s what comes from her piping the midnight bridge conversation around the ship, I guess.

“Leave them alone, Adams,” said a female voice. “I only agreed to this date because you promised to be on your best behavior, and I’m already starting to regret it.”

That seemed to be enough to shut Adams up. Good thing, because the movie was starting. As the lights dimmed into darkness, Bear was astounded when one of Mac’s hands found his where it lay on his thigh. Slim, warm fingers slipped between his thumb and forefinger to rest against his palm.

Dr Fong isn’t the only one she’s surprising these days.

 

 

The Plan

Month 11, Day 16

1123 Hours

Smitty

 “Blossum, take a break,” the captain told her yeoman as Smitty followed Jane into her office. “Take a seat, Smitty.” Once they were both seated, she asked, “Have you had a chance to study the reports Oakhurst provided us?”

“I have, and I’m of a mind to break Lt Adams down to technician!”

“I know how you feel. My report on Evans is less clear than the one on Adams, but I’m demoting Evans to ensign and getting him off the bridge. And if he still doesn’t straighten up, I’ll either demote him again or transfer him off. Or both. So, who will you replace Adams with?”

Oh, blast! I haven’t given it a thought, I’ve been so riled over how little attention he’s given to engineering the past 6 months. Maybe Harris. No, she’s not ready for that kind of responsibility. 2 or 3 other names came to mind, and then another name, one he didn’t dare suggest for that position. “Um, captain, as you know, I’ve been working on that Yukosk machine with, um, Wilson, Abdulla and Colleen.”

“I remember,” Jane returned, looking mildly confused at this non-answer to her question. “Has Abdulla finally agreed to transfer to engineering? I thought she was happy on the bridge.”

“She is. Happy. No, it’s not her I’m thinking of.”

“Well, who, then? Wilson is already one of your shift supervisors, and MacDowell is communications. I’m not sure where that gets us.”

“As far as naming a new shift supervisor for engineering, not very far. But I must admit to being impressed with Co—MacDowell’s apparent grasp of engineering concepts. Then, too, I’ve recently found out she has a habit of reading technual manuals as ‘something to do’. She’s currently working her way through the one for the warp engine.”

“I can’t say I’m terribly surprised. Now that she knows she doesn’t have to hide it, it’s obvious she has a brain.”

“I’d like to... test how much engineering she does know,” he stated.

“To what end?”

“Well, you know I like to cross-train my people. But this one... there might be the possibility of transferring her into engineering. I mean, if she wants to. If not, then... there’s no need to cross-train her on things she already knows.”

“By all means, test her, cross-train her. However you want to do it. But don’t get your hopes up. After all, Abdulla hasn’t transferred yet.”

“Yes, sir. Then I’d like to move Wilson to A shift and have her work with MacDowell 2 days a week. And I’ll work out the next shift supervisor in the next day or two.”

“Make it snappy. These guys have been getting away with this for far too long. I want Evans off the bridge!”


No comments:

Post a Comment