Thursday, April 9, 2020

Entanglement 1


Month 10 Day 31
2248 Hours
Smythe

Smitty heard a woman giggle as he approached a corner, and a man murmured a soft response. Lovers. He shivered at the thought. I don’t want to see anyone right now. A quick look around revealed he was next to the observatory deck. That will do. A few minutes in the clarity of a star field might just clear my mind.

He stepped into the room and let the door close behind him. The room was dark, and he left it that way, to increase the sense of being out among the stars seen through the floor-to-ceiling windows. They aren’t really windows. They’re screens. In hyper-space, like we are now, all a window would show us would be a mesmerizing swirl of odd colors. But we still need a chance to fight the occasional bout of claustrophobia. So we use screens to show a star field. Never mind that it isn’t real, it works.

He stepped close to the screen, the better to ignore the chairs lined against the wall. The utter blackness, punctuated by vivid pinpricks of light, seemed to envelop him and soothed sorely jangled nerves. He didn’t know how long he was there; it didn’t matter. Eventually, feeling refreshed, he thought about leaving, and turned for the door.

Oh. I’m not alone. Has she been there all along? I didn’t hear anyone come in. In my state, would I have heard someone come in? “Sorry, I... didn’t mean to intrude,” he offered softly.

She didn’t answer, just lifted one shoulder in a half shrug and raised a bottle to her mouth. The smell of whiskey was unmistakable. I need a drink.

As if she could hear his thoughts, she offered him the bottle. He stepped closer to take it, finished what little there was, and considered her in silence. It was so dark, there really wasn’t anything he could see, he was left with impressions only.

The 1st impression was of a fantastic female body. Not as good as hers, but there are a couple others aboard with figures nearly as good.

The 2nd impression was of paleness as a stray bit of light from the screens bounced off her head. Must be blond. That means it’s probably what’s-her-name, the nurse who talked her way into my hotel room during that 3-day shore leave. I need a woman. I really need a woman, and nurses are outside my chain of command, so as long as she’s willing...

His 3rd impression was that she was willing. Careful. It’s so dark in here, you can’t be sure what you see, so don’t go jumping on her eagerly, just to have her scream ‘rape’.

He placed the bottle in a chair next to the woman, who was leaning against an ornamental pillar. As he straightened up, he took a half step closer. “I could use some... company tonight,” he said softly. She turned her head to him, and opened her mouth in invitation.

I think it’s an invitation. Wish she’d say yes or no. Take it slow, Smitty. Give her every chance to stop you, if she doesn’t want to... do anything. Feeling like a teenager who doesn’t know if the girl likes him, he leaned forward slowly, until his lips touched hers. He heard a sharp intake of breath. Blast! I did misread signals in the dark. He started to pull away, but she surged forward enough to make it a real kiss. Yes. I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. I taste whiskey. Of course, we’ve both been drinking.

He gently pushed her against the pillar and put his hands on her waist. This kiss is more intoxicating than whiskey. Go slow. She’s got needs, too, and women like making out as much or more than sex. Her hand was like a feather on his shoulder. His hand slid to her back as he tentatively tasted her lips with his tongue.

With a deep sigh, she pushed herself against him, and her arms flowed around his neck. No mistaking that, is there? He pulled her even closer, sliding his hand down to her rear. Slow down, Smitty. This is going too fast.

But she wasn’t inclined to cool off. When he broke the kiss to suggest they go to his room, she feverishly recaptured his mouth with hers and threw her leg around his. Space, she’s eager. Was on that shore leave, too. I like making out, but I’m going to need sex before much longer, and how can we do that if we don’t go to my room? Sex on the floor of the darkened observatory, almost as if they were out among the stars. That’s tempting. But not a good--

Blinding light. He instinctively closed his eyes from the glare, and froze, realizing they’d been caught. Captain’s going to kill me.

“Oh. Sorry.” He heard the door closing.

He opened his eyes when the light went off, and caught a glimpse of bright red at eye level as the door was closing. Red? I thought she was that blond nurse. If it’s not the blond, then it must be-- Oh no!

He ended the kiss deliberately, all the while battling his desire to continue. Once his mouth was free, he drug a deep breath into his lungs, smelling not just whiskey but musky lilacs as well. I know the answer to this question. I thought I knew before, so I’d better be sure. “Colleen?” he asked softly.

“Yes?” she answered breathlessly, and moved her mouth closer to his.

Oh, Black Space. Now comes the hard part. Using every bit of will power he possessed, he tore himself away from her, unwrapped her from around him. “Sorry,” he told her as he tried to shrug his uniform into place. “I... thought you were someone else.” He turned and made his way out. That’s the second time tonight I’ve let go and walked away from her. It’s torture. I can’t keep doing it. Obviously I can’t resist her forever. Another 6 months and I’ll go crazy. I have to avoid her. Captain won’t like that. But it’s either that or break a dozen regulations. And I still need--

No comments:

Post a Comment