Thursday, April 2, 2020

Facing the Heat / Used


Facing the Heat
Month 10 Day 31
2158 Hours
Drake MacGregor

“Dr MacGregor.”

Uh oh. Both my title and my last name. Jane’s got something to bawl me out for, but I can’t imagine what. He turned to face her, “Yes, captain.”

“We need to talk.”

“Yes, it sounds as if we do.”

It rather looked as if Jane were chewing nails. Or ready to, at any rate. “I assume you understand that I’m very unhappy with your behavior, and the reason for my displeasure?”

He hesitated. It seemed obvious she was unhappy, although he wasn’t sure what he’d done to make her that way. But he got the feeling that her anger was more for show than real, and that she wanted him to acknowledge... whatever he had supposedly done wrong. Go along with it, Drake, rather than risk making her angry for real. He nodded. “I know there’s no excuse-“

“Good. That’s settled, then.” Although she still looked angry, she moved forward half a step and lowered her voice. “Are you still on good terms with the redhead? Would she dance with you again, do you think?”

Is that what this is all about? That I’ve danced too often with Mac? But Jane isn’t actually mad about it, that was all for some kind of show. He cleared his throat. “I suppose she would, if I asked. But there are other ladies-“

Jane leaned forward, intensely whispered, “This time, be prepared to give her up in mid-dance.”

She must have seen Adams try to cut in on me. But Mac wanted nothing to do with him, so I refused.

“This time, it will happen,” Jane went on fiercely. “Just let me engage Smitty in conversation before you start dancing with her.”

He blinked in surprise. Smitty? What’s talking to him got to do- Oh. “Understood,” he told her and didn’t take it personally when she moved off, still frowning.


Used
Month 10 Day 31
2204 Hours
Smythe

“Smitty, you haven’t danced much tonight,” Jane stated as she approached.

I don’t want to dance. I want a drink. Several drinks. Something a lot stronger than punch! But he pasted a dutiful smile on his face. “I guess I’m not much in the mood, captain.”

“Well, I am, so I hope you’ll indulge me?”

“My pleasure, captain,” and he led her onto the dance floor.

Once their gait was settled, she smiled and teased him. “Hard to imagine you would choose to miss this opportunity to hold pretty women in your arms. Or is it because you’d have to behave yourself that you’re forgoing that pleasure?”

Space, don’t do this to me, captain. Let’s just get this dance done, and then I’m leaving, and I don’t care how early it is. “I do have a pretty woman in my arms,” he returned.

She smiled patiently. “You know flattery doesn’t work on me. Besides, I’m serious. This is the perfect opportunity to show your junior officers some of your humanity. Just a touch of it, of course. If no one else, surely you could dance with Abdulla or Wilson.”

Blast, she’s going to make me. And if I do slip out without doing it, I’ll hear about it in the morning. “I’m afraid they’ve been busy.” I hope they have, or I just put my foot in my mouth.

“Then what about MacDowell?” she asked softly.

He could feel perspiration rolling down his face. “Even busier,” he stated. Was I hoarse? Not surprised, with that lump suddenly appearing in my throat just at the mention of her.

“Yes, I’ve noticed,” she agreed. “I think she’ll settle in as one of the crew in short order now, don’t you?”

“I imagine so.” Actually, it seems most of the crew already thinks of her that way. If she had more time for dating, most of the men would be swarming around her. As bad as Adams and Evans. She could have her pick of them. Won’t want the likes of me. Stop it, Smitty. Don’t think anything like that. She’s off limits.

“You’re very quiet,” Jane observed after a moment.

He started to say something, wasn’t sure what. Claim I’m tired or under the weather... something to lay the groundwork for leaving early. But Jane’s attention had wandered; she was staring over his shoulder. From the looks of that frown, she’s not happy about whatever she sees.

“I don’t believe it,” the captain muttered. “I told him to cool his jets. Come on, Smitty, this has got to stop.” She broke from the dance posture and pulled him along, to tap MacGregor on the shoulder. “Excuse me, we’re cutting in,” she announced, and virtually shoved Smitty at Drake’s partner while she claimed the doctor’s attention.

Green eyes stared at him from a white face as lilacs tickled his nose. “Colleen,” he realized with an exhalation of breath.

“We’ve cut in,” the captain hissed in his ear. “Finish the dance! At least you haven’t already had 6 dances with her!”

With that order in his ear, he mindlessly took the redhead in his arms and began moving his feet, as did she. After a moment, he cleared his throat and said, “You dance well.” Truth to tell, I don’t know if she’s stepped on my feet or not.

A touch of panic flashed across her face. “Too well, you mean?”

How in space-- “I don’t think it’s possible to dance too well,” he answered.

“No?” Her eyes were still worried. “Well, Pa wouldn’t approve.”

“Of dancing well?”

“Of dancing,” she stated. “But then, he doesn’t approve of women working outside the home, either,” she mumbled.

Sounds like a caveman.

A corner of her mouth turned upward slightly. “There are parts of Gaelund that are still wild and mostly unexplored.”

Blast, did I say that out loud? “I didn’t mean-- I shouldn’t have said--“ He stopped to take a deep breath of musky lilacs. “I doubt he’d approve of me. I don’t like helpless women. I prefer them educated and competent.”

“Wish I’d known that a year ago,” she muttered. “Might have saved me a lot of trouble.”

“How so?”

Her face turned red. “Well, I assume I wouldn’t have had to ask for your help.”

I don’t remember her ever- “When did you ask for my help?”

Startled green eyes fell to his chest as her face burned. “Right after I flunked my 5th test. I came to your room on my way to my post and--”

His arms jerked in shock, and her body slammed against him as the odor of lilac musk filled the air around them. “You did?” he demanded, but suddenly lost his voice as he realized what that meant. He could barely whisper, “I thought I’d dreamed it.”

She studied him for a time. “Wish I could have dreams like that,” she stated softly. “The only dreams I ever remember are about falling off a cliff.”

Falling off a cliff. That’s what I’ve done; I’ve fallen head over heels for- Someone bumped into him, hard, and it suddenly dawned on him that he was holding a junior officer in a tight embrace and had given up all pretense of dancing as they stared at each other. Have you lost your mind, Smitty? Probably. He broke free of her with a lurch, turned and walked off the dance floor, out of the decorated banquet hall.

Blast! I need a drink. This isn’t good, Smitty. She’s here to stay, and already you’ve started to lose control. Just like MacGregor and Bugalu. Even worse than them. Captain pulled MacGregor away for having too many dances with Colleen, and I practically seduce her, right then and there! Jane’ll chew me out royally for this. and I deserve it! The gossip I just started! How could I do such a thing?

His head reeling, he began to roam the hallways, taking turns and stairways at random as he tried to sort out his thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment